Packaging and labelling
Incorrect packaging and/or labelling cause the majority of the allergen-related product recalls. In order to ensure accurate information to your allergic consumers you need to implement procedures to check that your products end up with correct labels. Some areas where you may minimise the risk of applying incorrect labels are:
- Checks should be in place between processing and packaging.
- Check labels during product run.
- Destroy old packaging when you need to use new packaging following a recipe change or new allergen cross contact risk.
- Be sure to remove all packaging at the end of a run.
- Be sure to use the correct outer packaging for multi-pack products.